Thursday, December 12, 2013

What's up Doc!!!?

Oh no!

Another long gap since the last time I posted. I remember wanting to put down some stuff which I thought was interesting, but it got skipped because of how busy life had become these past couple of months. Yeah, I got back to professional life.

No way I am complaining. I am sane when my days are full with work !

I remember now. I got to see some great sci-fi movies, which managed to leave a lasting impression. It is pretty rare these days, huh. Sci fi movies are thrown at us so frequently that it is difficult to distinguish one from another. Still, I loved Oblivion and I was blown away by Gravity.

Oblivion simply stands out mostly for its terrific visuals. They were breathtaking. They stood out. I could have gone on watching the movie many times over. I haven't heard good things about the movie from people, but me -- I loved it!! The fact that it made me think after leaving the hall is something in itself. I thought the story was brilliant. Makes you think about that thin line between make-believe and truth and how perspectives can change once the facade crashes. And of course, Tom Cruise for one and half hours on screen doesn't hurt the eyes! Though I agree, the end was a wee bit convenient and hurried!

Gravity, what can I say. For me, it was a 9.9 on 10. Couldn't get enough of it. Guilty as charged - I would have loved to see more of those breathtaking visuals of the blue earth, the sun rising and the pitch-black space and feel that weightlessness and emptiness of space a wee bit longer. Not to mention the shots of the slow deterioration of the International Space Station - WooHoo! I had been waiting for this movie since the first time I saw its trailer and I knew there was no way I was gonna be disappointed by this one. Though I admit the movie wasn't that high on drama and adrenaline as one would expect from a sci-fi.

Going a bit deeper into why I Loved this one - It made me feel SO small. So tiny in front of the sheer magnitude of the outer space! For me, the last scene was the cherry on the cake and pushed this movie in my list of 'The greatest movies ever made'! That final shaky step as our protagonist lands on solid ground in full force of the Earth's gravity can be a blessing, makes one wonder (again) of how we take nature for granted, those subtle processes of nature which are so important for the survival of mankind, lost in the backdrop of our day to day worries and problems.

Gimme more, Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Flickr

Subscribe